Monday, March 20, 2006

gentle power

See, the Sovereign LORD comes with power,
and his arm rules for him.
See, his reward is with him,
and his recompense accompanies him.

He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young. (Isaiah 40:10,11)

I love these two verses in Isaiah 40 because they so beautifully illustrate how two seemingly incompatible characteristics, gentleness and power, are perfectly united in the Father's loving heart. Over the past months, the Father has gently gathered me in His arms and carried me close to His heart while manifesting His power in the midst of some very painful circumstances. In my weakness, His power has truly been perfected. As David said, "Your right hand upholds me, and Your gentleness makes me great." (Psalm 18:35)

Live free! Live in Father's love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like what you wrote, Lindsay. I had never noticed how those two verses, 10 and 11, work so beautifully together to show two facets of God's nature, the tenderness and the sovereign strength.

"He gently leads those that have young." I guess that would be me! He has done so and continues to and I praise Him for it! Alleluia!

Reading the chapter further, I come to another aspect of God's care for me that jumps off the page! He is my Jehovah-Jireh, my Provider.

Verses 29-31:

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I find this immensely encouraging. My omnipotent and gentle God will provide for me and give me all I need to keep going. And the same for my children. He will renew us and strengthen us when we need it. And there are times when we need it so!!

The God of the universe loves us and will (and does) reach into our heart to fill them and sustain us so that we never run out of his provision. He will (and does) help me soar and run and walk as He wills me to, even when I can't see how it will all work or how I can go on.

I am trusting, obeying and having faith in His provision. He has shown Himself to be faithful. He is an awesome God!

This chapter helps me remember once again that I am not the source. I can cast all my cares upon Him because He loves me so much, He'll take care of me no matter what, and becuase He is in control!

--M