Saturday, November 20, 2004

the process

"After a time of teaching about how Father extends his grace to us while he reshapes our lives, a brother shared something he had discovered: 'I think I finally understood something today, I have thought that God was only pleased by my perfection. Since I never measured up to that I have always struggled. But I am beginning to think he not only wants me to be whole, but that he actually enjoys the process of getting me there.'

"What else explains why Father just doesn't wave his arms over us and make us all perfect overnight. He wants us to reflect his glory from the inside out. He patiently shapes our lives until Christ is fully formed in us. Like a potter spinning a new pot, he's not just excited about getting it done, but he actually enjoys the whole process--softening the clay, kneading it in his hands, and fashioning with great care into that which he sees in his heart.

"If we only think him satisfied when we get it all together, I'm afraid our lives will be filled with frustration--for ourselves and others! But if he enjoys the process, shouldn't we also? He is fashioning you so that Jesus can take form in you. Can you see how he's doing that? But if we can with him enjoy the process of him allowing Jesus to take form in us, then we too can be more patient with our still-glaring deficiencies."

- Wayne Jacobsen, "Every Day, Every Moment," BodyLife, May 1998.

No comments: