Wednesday, May 23, 2007

ministry

Here's an excerpt from a book I'm reading -

God has been trying to free me from the burden of doing something spectacular for him. It has a way of distracting you from the opportunities to be salt and light right where you are. I'm starting to see that the "cup of cold water given in Jesus's name" sometimes means running the register by yourself during lunch so your heartbroken coworker can cry in the break room, or volunteering to reshelf all the returns in your area so a worn-out coworker twice your age won't have to. A kindness shown here, a listening ear offered there, a caring hug as you go might be the case for Christ a cynical waitress most needs. I'm starting to recognize that I am immersed in a sea of hurting people every day. If I simply pay attention and follow the promptings of the Spirit in all these little ways, my life is "ministry."

- Jim Palmer, Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the unlikely people who help you), p. 43

Click Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God to order

Live free! Live in Daddy's affection!

No comments: